.

.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Marriage and my thoughts


MARRIAGE

I have to say that Russell is my rock! He took work off to be by my side the entire day yesterday, even having to be in charge of checking my pulse every few hours. I can't begin to say how thankful I am to be married to this man. I remember thinking when we got married it'd be full of fun activities, trips, etc. I realize now that the day to day mundane activities we do together, I mean the same things we do every day together still seems exciting because I'm doing them with him! We fell in love, and we took the plunge together as a married couple to start a family even though he still needed to finish school. We had the faith to trust that we could live on a small income so that I could be a stay at home mom for our children. There are things the world would have you believe you are sacrificing, like fun vacations, date nights, money to shop, but in reality what we've gained is SO much more!!!!

I would say my biggest lesson I've learned about marriage is the principle of servant-hood, focusing on serving Russell. The next biggest lesson I've learned is that I am in charge of my happiness, not him. I am in charge of doing things to take care of myself to be a fun happy person to be around. I mean who wants to be around the person that is grumpy and hard to please? This especially applies to my spirituality. When I have the spirit with me I am more pleasant, happy, and kind. I need to take the time everyday to connect with my Father in Heaven. The third biggest lesson I've learned is to communicate my wants and needs to Russell. Easy example is me texting the following, "hey today was really rough with Kylie, could you give me a back-rub tonight, and be extra sweet to me?" Such a simple text to send him, and immediately clues Russell into how I'm feeling and what I'm hoping for later. If I didn't clue him in and just "expected" him to sense my day was hard and I need extra affection, I will end up being let down because he's not a mind reader.

My marriage is better and more amazing then I even dreamed it could be. Does that mean Russell and I have never had disagreements? HAHAHAHA I wish, but we have. Does that mean all our date nights are amazing well thought out creative excursions? Heck no, we defenietly are a grab a bite to eat and watch a movie cuddled up in bed later. My marriage is amazing because I'm married to my soul mate. I really feel like I have been given a dream partner to share life with and while that is a gift, it is also a huge responsibility. The desire I have to see my husband happy is surprisingly overwhelming for me. He is my one and only! That's what gives me the motivation to wake up everyday, and try harder to be a better version of myself so that Russell could say the same things about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment